Seven Dublin consultant clinicians responsible for delivering secondary and tertiary paediatric and neonatal healthcare, have stated that they fully support the new children’s hospital on a campus shared with St. James’s Hospital.
“Our number one priority is providing the best possible care to our patients,” they said.
“We fully support the new children’s hospital on a campus shared with St. James’s Hospital and we are working towards the delivery of healthcare services on this single academic medical campus which will provide paediatric, adult and maternity services.
“The delivery of these services side by side, on a research-intensive campus, will benefit all of our patients, but in particular will drive improved clinical outcomes for the sickest children, adolescents, new-borns and high risk mothers. This ’tri-location’ model of healthcare delivery is recognised as best practice internationally and, as clinicians, we are greatly excited about the bringing together of our services on one campus.
“The decision to locate the new children’s hospital on a campus shared with St. James’s Hospital, Ireland’s leading tertiary adult research intensive hospital, was made in 2012 and the hospital will be completed in 2021. It was also confirmed in the National Maternity Strategy published last year that the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital will relocate to the same campus.
“Working side by side, we are establishing a campus of healthcare excellence that will be amongst the best in the world. Our sickest children, adolescents, neonates and mothers deserve no less.
The consultants are:
- Peter Greally, Consultant Respiratory Paediatrician, National Children’s Hospital at Tallaght Hospital and Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin; Group Clinical Director, Children’s Hospital Group;
- Sean Walsh, Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine and Clinical Director at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin;
- Ciara Martin, Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine at The National Children’s Hospital Tallaght;
- Adrienne Foran, Consultant Neonatologist, Rotunda Hospital and Temple Street Children’s University Hospital and Clinical Director, Temple Street Children’s University Hospital;
- Owen Smith, Professor of Paediatrics and Adolescents Medicines at University College Dublin; Consultant Paediatric Haematologist at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin; Special Advisor, Children’s Hospital Group;
- Sharon Sheehan, Master of the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital;
- Emma Curtis, Consultant Paediatrician at the National Children’s Hospital, Tallaght; Medical Director with the National Paediatric Hospital Development Board
- Alf Nicholson, Consultant Paediatrician, Temple Street Children’s University Hospital; Professor of Paediatrics, RCSI and HSE National Clinical Lead, Paediatric Clinical Programme.