Health Minister, Ms. Mary Harney, T.D., Fine Gael Health Spokesperson, Dr. James Reilly, T.D. and Labour Spokesperson, Ms. Jan O’Sullivan, T.D. were each invited to write an article for the November issue of Health Manager detailing their vision for the Irish health services in 2011.
They were asked to examine:
- The shape the health services could be expected to take bearing in mind the large budget cuts.
- The difficulties protecting frontline services in view of the fact that 70 per cent of the health budget goes on pay.
- How will it be possible for health managers to protect front line services and the Croke Park agreement?
- At present managers who try to make cuts are pilloried – will the Government/ politicians support managers who have to make cuts in 2011.
- What would Fine Gael and Labour do differently?
Dr. Reilly and Ms. O’Sullivan were happy to write the article. The Minister declined on the basis that pre-budget deliberations were not concluded.
Following the budget, we will invite the Minister for Health to contribute to the January issue of Health Manager.